It is with heavy hearts that we, the Stann Creek Queen of the Bay Committee, express our disappointment in the actions by the National Queen of the Bay Committee to remove Ms. Stann Creek Aaliyah Ysaguirre as Queen Designate.
We are extremely shocked that after being selected on pageant night as the rightful winner that there would be a subsequent secret judging five days later unknown to the Stann Creek committee who stood to lose the most. We would like to inform the public of the following:
- The National Queen of the Bay Committee, nor the Orange Walk Committee never informed us that there was a challenged lodged against the decision of the judges.
- We are appalled to learn that there was an emergency meeting with the Orange Walk committee where they clarified that they wanted the pageant reassess and scores changed, obviously in favour of their candidate.
- There has been no allegations that the scores from the judges on the night of the pageant was miscalculated.
- We’ve learned that there was a meeting today, Friday September 8th, 2017 where this new decision was taken and we were never invited nor informed of it.
- The rules of the pageant does not provide for the reassessment of the pageant as is stated by the press release issued by the National Committee.
- There was no due process as was claimed in the press release issued by the National Committee as candidate nor Committee was never given the opportunity to be heard as the principles of natural justice would require.
- We have proof that the majority of judges signed off on the form certifying the winner and that the tabulators were satisfied with the results.
We regret to reveal to the public that our candidate was contacted directly by telephone at 7:12 pm today September 8th, 2017 by Dejanira Thompson(Secretary and Public Relations Officer) just to be told that Miss Orange Walk was the queen designate after a revision by the judges.
This was in such poor taste and surely a shock and a blow to Ms Aaliyah Ysaguirre who clearly is most distraught at the underhanded and callous way in which this was done and the manner in which she was informed . That was the first time that our candidate even knew of the actions being taken against her. The Committee was never contacted and it is most unfortunate, distasteful, unprofessional and unjust manner in which it was done. The committee has acted in bad faith in revealing at the 11th hour its clandestine meeting and decision less than 48 hours before the scheduled crowning.
We find this decision unjustified as all judges signed off on the final decision at the pageant on September 2nd,2017. This unjust and illegal change is simply making a mockery of and calling into question the integrity of the prestigious pageant that for over 72 years has been our tradition. Creating controversy is certainly not the way to promote national pride nor to encourage our young women to participate in the “Symbol of Freedom that is The Queen of the Bay”.
The Stann Creek Committee is the duly recognized agent of Ms. Aaliyah Ysaguirre and is yet to be officially contacted to be informed of what transpired and has not been provided with any written decision. We the Stann Creek Queen of the Bay Committee will not stand for this injustice against our candidate and officially declare that we do not recognize nor see as legitimate the new decision of the judges nor the National Committee. We call on them to revert to the lawful and rightful decision given and signed off on the night of the pageant.
We call on all relevant parties and authorities to ensure that Aaliyah Ysaguirre is crowned the lawful 72nd Queen of the Bay 2017 and will pursue all venues even all legal options to correct this wrong.
The Stank Creek Committee will be holding a press conference today September 9th at 10:00 a.m at the George Price Centre in Belmopan City with District Coordinator
Mrs. Sherima Guity
Assistant District Coordinator
Mrs. Jamille Martinez